That’s the way the ankle rolls

Rolled my ankle a little bit tonight @ volleyball. Dang it! It better heal fast…

Yesterday I woke up with body aches, a dull fever (that had been hanging around for days), and the dread that I was coming down with something. I also was upset at my ailments because I had a training session with Kristal and a volleyball game to attend to and no way, no how was I going to let my lackluster health prevent me from participating.

So I went to my workout with Kristal. Worked the devil out of my legs, getting them primed for jumping and side movements in my volleyball. Cranked out 150 different crunches (lest you think I am super amazing in that way, they were not all consecutive…but boy, my stomach hurts today). Felt pretty good…even if my temp did spike a little right after.

By the time I went to my volleyball game an hour later, I was starting to feel a little shaky again and worried I was going to be sick. Bent over on my knees sick, if you know what I mean. But I love playing volleyball. LOVE playing volleyball. It’s a huge release for me even when I am feeling like I just want to wrap up in a blanket and pass out for hours on end.

So I played. And I felt slightly…off. Near the end of the first game, the ball was set to me way short so I had to stutter step my approach to adjust and get to the ball. As I was crossing my feet quickly to get over to hit the ball, I felt my foot stick to the floor. And the ankle start to bend THE WRONG WAY.

If you have ever played sports, you know this feeling. You are suddenly filled with dread because a sprained/rolled ankle could take you out of your sport for quite some time depending on the severity.

The second I felt that foot stick and the ankle start to roll, I immediately tried collapsing on the floor to lessen the impact and reduce the pull across my foot and ankle.

‘Son of a gun, that did NOT just happen!’ I thought to myself. ‘Dang it!’

I paused for a minute, smiled at my stunned teammates and walked gingerly around for a bit to show them it was no big deal.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” asked Vicky. Her eyes were filled with concern and worry.

I nodded and said, “Oh yeah, totally fine. It’s just a slight sprain–but I’m walking on it! So no worries! Let’s finish the game and then the next one so we can go home.”

Thankfully, we weren’t playing a difficult opponent. We won the first game 22-10, the second 20-9. I had a hard time the second game and realized my ankle was getting worse and worse because it became more stiff by the minute. I kept hoping if I iced it, took ibuprofen, and kept it elevated off and on through the night that perhaps, just perhaps, my ankle would be fine today.

No such luck. I woke up at 4 a.m. with it throbbing and so uncomfortable. That’s when the frustration hit me. I had six miles I needed to run today. No go there. I had 2 miles of sprint work tomorrow to work on. No go there. I had an 8 mile run for Saturday on my training plan and I’m worried I won’t be able to do it there either. Uggggghhhh.

Gosh dang rolled ankles. Heal already! I have things I gotta do. I don’t have time to be sidelined by a silly swollen ankle. And I don’t particularly like hobbling around the house, crawling up and down stairs because the pressure hurts so bad.

Maybe I will hire a buff man servant to carry me hither and thither so I can rest. Sounds good to me. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s