For the 6.5 people who read my blog, you might remember a recent post that was all about change and the pain and discomfort that can sometimes be associated with it. Well, I was more or less referring to my work situation which has been in a flux almost since I started there a little over 2.5 years ago.
We got word last week that my company is pulling out of Utah. Yep. Adios, Sayonara, Au Revoir. The Big Blue will no longer employ roughly 140 people at its massive building down in Riverton. The building has sold, the construction has begun, and layoffs will be kicking off in waves starting in March of ’09.
But lest you think that I’m overly concerned about this, let me fill you in on a few of the details for those of us that weren’t already in the layoff line of fire (Payroll is impacted as they are being outsourced). I have until January 4, 2010 to make a decision. That is the very last day I can work in Utah for my company. That gives me roughly 15 months to decide. Yeah, I think they’ve given me enough time.
Sheesh! Are you kidding me??!! I don’t know many companies who would provide such a long period in which you can make the decision to stay or leave the company. AND they will help you move. AND they will have your same job available at a site of your choosing. None of this door-slam-bam-thank-you-ma’am, collect your pink slip and go. It’s a pretty sweet deal no matter which way you look at it.
Trouble is, I don’t know which direction to go! Do I move? Do I stay and find a new job with a different company? Do I play it by ear? Do I do I do I can I can I can I???? Sigh…so much to think about. But in case you’re interested, here are the states where I have the option to move to:
Hmmmm – any suggestions? I have a lot of time to think about this…